Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Week 4 Exercise 9

More search tools to find feeds to add to my bloglines to be viewed on my blog along with photos from flickr... these exercises keep building on one another like some mad technology cumulative story.

I dutifully looked at the 4 search tools...

Feedster was not too interesting to me... the catagories were too broad and random. The feed of the day (Chirky) was fun to look at but ultimately not really useful for my work or personal life... a few minutes of my life gone forever.

I like Topix.net the best... Local news headlines caught my eye as I had earlier seen the email about SA branch closing due to the 4 alarm fire next door... and then there were three headlines about it! Also thought the recent comments section was interesting... to see how many people were talking about certain topics... but then you start looking at the comments and realize you didn't really have to read it to guess what people are saying.

Syndic8.com - too overwhelming, too much text

Technorati was kind of fun... the popular categories were a little more interesting to me and I liked having more visuals.

Overall... interesting, but don't know how much I'll really use any of it. Truthfully I'm not sure I've really grasped the "wow" of RSS, blogs and such. Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned girl.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Yep, you had lots of fun with the image generators. Good for you. About RSS feeds - wouldn't it be nice if we had one for our library events; so, our users as well as ourselves would be aware of upcoming events. Or perhaps for new books. You know, subscribing to a feed for new books.